Do you need to know how to apply for an IRS PTIN or EFIN number for tax preparation or IRS e-services? 1040TaxBiz assists our clients with IRS EFIN or PTIN renewal, application, or registration for 2018-2019. Contact 1040TaxBiz if you need help through this process.
What is PTIN – Preparer Tax Identification NumberPreparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) is an identification number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that all paid income tax return preparers must use on US federal tax return claims for refund.
What is EFIN – Electronic Filing Identification NumberElectronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN) is an identification number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax preparers to become an authorized IRS e-file service provider.
Do I Need a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN)A PTIN must be obtained by all enrolled agents, as well as all tax return preparers who are paid for preparing any US federal tax return, claim for refund or other tax form submitted to the IRS.
What is an Enrolled AgentAn enrolled agent is a person who represents taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service by either passing a three-part comprehensive IRS test covering individual and business tax returns, or through experience as a former IRS employee. Individuals who obtain this status must adhere to ethical standards and complete 72 hours of continuing education courses every three years. Enrolled agents, like attorneys and certified public accountants (CPAs), have unlimited practice rights. Note: All PTIN correspondence is delivered through secure messaging through your online PTIN account. Tax return information is required to authenticate your identity. Felony convictions may affect your ability to obtain a PTIN.
PTIN Requirements for 2018Below are the requirements and checklist for PTIN registration or renewal for 2018.
PTIN Application Documentation Checklist
- Social Security Number
- Personal information (name, mailing address, date of birth)
- Business information (name, mailing address, telephone number)
- Previous year’s individual tax return (name, address, filing status)
- Explanations for felony convictions (if any)
- Explanations for problems with your US individual or business tax obligations (if any)
- If applicable, any US-based professional certification information (CPA, attorney, enrolled agent, enrolled retirement plan agent, enrolled actuary, certified acceptance agent, or state license) including certification number, jurisdiction of issuance, and expiration date
Acceptable Supporting Documents for ID
- Passport / Passport Card
- Driver’s License
- US State ID Card
- Military ID Card
- National ID Card
IRS PTIN Application Process Checklist
- Create IRS Account
- Apply for PTIN