Own an exisiting business and interested in creating additional revenue?CLICK HERE →

News & Blog

How to File IRS Tax Extension

News & Blog

It’s mid-April and Tax Day is here. You have not yet filed your income taxes and you need more time. How do you e-file or paper file for an extension with the IRS? The following web page published on IRS.GOV provide you with detailed information about how to get Extension of Time To File Your Tax Return.

File IRS Tax Extension as Individual

According to IRS Form 4686, there are three ways to file for an extension with the IRS: 1) Pay all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension. 2) File IRS Form 4868 electronically by using your home computer or by using a tax professional who uses e-file. 3) File a paper Form 4868 and enclose payment of your estimate of tax due. In essence, to file for a tax extension with the IRS is not to avoid paying your taxes. It is to give you more time to get your paperwork in order. If you are serving in the military or live outside the United States, you may want to consider using IRS Form 2350. It is designed For US Citizens and Resident Aliens who live abroad who expect to qualify for Special Tax Treatment.

File IRS Tax Extension as Business or Corporation

Corporations and businesses have a different set of forms that need to be filed with the IRS. This gets more complicated when dealing with bankruptcies, transfer of property, employment benefits, and operational losses. There are two primary forms a business or corporation might file for a tax extension with the IRS: Form 7004: Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File Certain Business Income Tax, Information, and Other Returns Form 1138: Extension of Time for Payment of Taxes by a Corporation Expecting a Net Operating Loss Carryback If you ever have any questions regarding tax filing deadlines, tax filing extensions, or e-file extensions, please consult your tax preparer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.