The IRS, working with the Department of Justice, is still considering how to proceed, but will make PTINs available while deciding how to address the court order. The IRS is resuming the issuance of PTINs, without charge, on June 21, 2017.

  • Posted in:
  • IRS

You may choose any recordkeeping system suited to your business that clearly shows your income and expenses. The business you are in affects the type of records you need to keep for federal tax purposes. Your recordkeeping system should include a summary of your business transactions. This summary is ordinarily made in your business books (for example, accounting journals and ledgers). Your books must show your gross income, as well as your deductions and credits. For most small businesses, the business checking account is the main source for entries in the business books.

Some businesses choose to use electronic accounting software programs or some other type of electronic system to capture and organize their records. The electronic accounting software program or electronic system you choose should meet the same basic recordkeeping principles mentioned above.  All requirements that apply to hard copy books and records also apply to electronic records. 

Supporting Business Documents

Purchases, sales, payroll, and other transactions you have in your business will generate supporting documents. Supporting documents include sales slips, paid bills, invoices, receipts, deposit slips, and canceled checks. These documents contain the information you need to record in your books. It is important to keep these documents because they support the entries in your books and on your tax return. You should keep them in an orderly fashion and in a safe place. For instance, organize them by year and type of income or expense.

The following are some of the types of records you should keep:

  • Gross receipts are the income you receive from your business. You should keep supporting documents that show the amounts and sources of your gross receipts. Documents for gross receipts include the following:
    • Cash register tapes
    • Deposit information (cash and credit sales)
    • Receipt books
    • Invoices
    • Forms 1099-MISC
  • Purchases are the items you buy and resell to customers. If you are a manufacturer or producer, this includes the cost of all raw materials or parts purchased for manufacture into finished products. Your supporting documents should show the amount paid and that the amount was for purchases. Documents for purchases include the following:
    • Canceled checks or other documents that identify payee, amount, and proof of payment/electronic funds transferred
    • Cash register tape receipts
    • Credit card receipts and statements
    • Invoices
  • Expenses are the costs you incur (other than purchases) to carry on your business. Your supporting documents should show the amount paid and a description that shows the amount was for a business expense. Documents for expenses include the following:
    • Canceled checks or other documents that identify payee, amount, and proof of payment/electronic funds transferred
    • Cash register tapes
    • Account statements
    • Credit card receipts and statements
    • Invoices
    • Petty cash slips for small cash payments
  • Travel, Transportation, Entertainment, and Gift Expenses
    If you deduct travel, entertainment, gift or transportation expenses, you must be able to prove (substantiate) certain elements of expenses.  

  • Assets are the property, such as machinery and furniture, that you own and use in your business. You must keep records to verify certain information about your business assets. You need records to compute the annual depreciation and the gain or loss when you sell the assets. Documents for assets should show the following information:
    • When and how you acquired the assets
    • Purchase price
    • Cost of any improvements
    • Section 179 deduction taken
    • Deductions taken for depreciation
    • Deductions taken for casualty losses, such as losses resulting from fires or storms
    • How you used the asset
    • When and how you disposed of the asset
    • Selling price
    • Expenses of sale

    The following documents may show this information.

    • Purchase and sales invoices
    • Real estate closing statements
    • Canceled checks or other documents that identify payee, amount, and proof of payment/electronic funds transferred
  • Employment taxes
    There are specific employment tax records you must keep.  Keep all records of employment for at least four years. 

The Internal Revenue Service announced today the addition of several new features to the online account tool first introduced late last year as part of the IRS’s commitment to improve and expand taxpayer services.

The online account allows individual taxpayers to access the latest information available about their federal tax account through a secure and convenient tool on When it first launched in December 2016, the tool assisted taxpayers with basic account inquiries such as information about their balance due and access to the various IRS payment options. Since then, the IRS has added new features allowing taxpayers to:

  • View up to 18 months of tax payment history
  • View payoff amounts and tax balance due for each tax year
  • Obtain online transcripts of various Form 1040-series through Get Transcript
  • Give feedback on their experience with their online account and make suggestions for improvements
  • Posted in:
  • IRS

If you paid someone to care for your child, spouse, or dependent last year, you may be able to claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit on your federal income tax return. Below are 10 things the IRS wants you to know about claiming a credit for child and dependent care expenses.

  1. The care must have been provided for one or more qualifying persons. A qualifying person is your dependent child age 12 or younger when the care was provided. Additionally, your spouse and certain other individuals who are physically or mentally incapable of self-care may also be qualifying persons. You must identify each qualifying person on your tax return.
  2. The care must have been provided so you – and your spouse if you are married filing jointly – could work or look for work.
  3. You – and your spouse if you file jointly – must have earned income from wages, salaries, tips, other taxable employee compensation or net earnings from self-employment. One spouse may be considered as having earned income if they were a full-time student or were physically or mentally unable to care for themselves.
  4. The payments for care cannot be paid to your spouse, to the parent of your qualifying person, to someone you can claim as your dependent on your return, or to your child who will not be age 19 or older by the end of the year even if he or she is not your dependent. You must identify the care provider(s) on your tax return.
  5. Your filing status must be single, married filing jointly, head of household or qualifying widow(er) with a dependent child.
  6. The qualifying person must have lived with you for more than half of 2010. There are exceptions for the birth or death of a qualifying person, or a child of divorced or separated parents. See Publication 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses.
  7. The credit can be up to 35 percent of your qualifying expenses, depending upon your adjusted gross income.
  8. For 2010, you may use up to $3,000 of expenses paid in a year for one qualifying individual or $6,000 for two or more qualifying individuals to figure the credit.
  9. The qualifying expenses must be reduced by the amount of any dependent care benefits provided by your employer that you deduct or exclude from your income.
  10. If you pay someone to come to your home and care for your dependent or spouse, you may be a household employer and may have to withhold and pay social security and Medicare tax and pay federal unemployment tax. See Publication 926, Household Employer's Tax Guide.

Every year, millions of consumers become victims of identity theft.  According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, an estimated 17.6 million U.S. residents experienced the misuse of their personal information in 2016.

The following tips to help consumers protect themselves from becoming a victim of identity theft:
  • Don’t share your secrets. Don’t provide your Social Security number or account information to anyone who contacts you online or over the phone. Protect your PINs and passwords and do not share them with anyone. Use a combination of letters and numbers for your passwords and change them periodically. Do not reveal sensitive or personal information on social networking sites.
  • Shred sensitive papers. Shred receipts, banks statements and unused credit card offers before throwing them away.
  • Keep an eye out for missing mail. Fraudsters look for monthly bank or credit card statements or other mail containing your financial information. Consider enrolling in online banking to reduce the likelihood of paper statements being stolen. Also, don’t mail bills from your own mailbox with the flag up.
  • Use online banking to protect yourself. Monitor your financial accounts regularly for fraudulent transactions. Sign up for text or email alerts from your bank for certain types of transactions, such as online purchases or transactions of more than $500.
  • Monitor your credit report. Order a free copy of your credit report every four months from one of the three credit reporting agencies at
  • Protect your computer. Make sure the virus protection software on your computer is active and up to date. When conducting business online, make sure your browser’s padlock or key icon is active. Also look for an “s” after the “http” to be sure the website is secure.
  • Protect your mobile device. Use the passcode lock on your smartphone and other devices. This will make it more difficult for thieves to access your information if your device is lost or stolen. Before you donate, sell or trade your mobile device, be sure to wipe it using specialized software or using the manufacturer’s recommended technique. Some software allows you to wipe your device remotely if it is lost or stolen. Use caution when downloading apps, as they may contain malware and avoid opening links and attachments – especially for senders you don’t know.
  • Report any suspected fraud to your bank immediately.

I have been with 1040 taxis for about 2 years now. I couldn't have picked a better company to get started with my own tax service. 

No matter what you run into they are only a phone call or email away to help you get thru it.  It has been a great experience working with them. And I plan on working with the company for many more years to come. 

Tipp City OH.


A scholarship or fellowship grant is tax free (excludable from gross income) only if you are a candidate for a degree at an eligible educational institution. You may be able to increase the combined value of an education credit and certain educational assistance if the student includes some or all of the educational assistance in income in the year it is received. A scholarship or fellowship grant is tax free only to the extent: It doesn't exceed your qualified education expenses; It isn't designated or earmarked for other purposes (such as room and board), and doesn't require (by its terms) that it can't be used for qualified education expenses; and It doesn't represent payment for teaching, research, or other services required as a condition for receiving the scholarship

Tax information for Active Duty Military and Reserve Personnel

Joint Returns

 Generally, joint returns must be signed by both spouses. However, when one spouse is not available due to military duty, a power of attorney may be needed to file a joint return.

Armed Forces Pay and Allowances

 Members of the Armed Forces receive many different types of pay and allowances. Some are included in gross income, while others are excluded from gross income. Certain excluded items are not subject to tax, but may have to be shown on your tax return.

Moving Expenses

 If you are a member of the Armed Forces on active duty and you move because of a permanent change of duty station you can deduct the reasonable unreimbursed expenses of moving yourself and members of your household.

Sale of Home

You may not have to pay tax on all or part of the gain from the sale of your main home. Usually, your main home is the one you live in most of the time. It can be a: house, cooperative apartment, condominium, mobile home, or houseboat.

Combat Pay

If you serve in a combat zone as an enlisted person or warrant officer for any part of a month, your military pay received for military service that month is not taxable. For officers, the monthly exclusion is capped at the highest enlisted pay, plus any hostile fire or imminent danger pay received

 Uniform Cost and Upkeep

If military regulations prohibit you from wearing certain uniforms when off duty, you can deduct the cost and upkeep of those uniforms, but you must reduce your expenses by any allowance or reimbursement you receive.

Travel to Reserve Duty

 If you are a member of the US Armed Forces Reserves, you can deduct unreimbursed travel expenses for traveling more than 100 miles away from home to perform your reserve duties.


You may be entitled to credits such as earned income credit, child tax credit, and certain education credits on your tax return. There are specific qualifications and requirements for each credit.

Forgiveness of Tax Liability

 Tax liability can be forgiven, or if already paid, refunded, if a member of the U.S. Armed Forces dies: ● While on active service in a combat zone, ● From wounds, disease, or other injury received in a combat zone, or ● From wounds or injury incurred in a terrorist or military action. Tax, for the year of death and possibly for earlier years, can be forgiven.

 Extension of Deadlines

The deadline for filing tax returns, paying taxes, filing claims for refund, and taking other actions with the IRS is automatically extended for qualifying members of the military.

ROTC Students

Subsistence allowances paid to ROTC students participating in advanced training are not taxable. However, active duty pay – such as pay received during summer advanced camp – is taxable. Transitioning Back to Civilian Life

 You may be able to deduct some costs you incur while looking for a new job. Expenses may include travel, resume preparation fees, and outplacement agency fees. Moving expenses may be deductible if your move is closely related to the start of work at a new job location, and you

If you are an employee, the Withholding Calculator can help you determine whether you need to give your employer a new  Form W-4Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate to avoid having too much or too little Federal income tax withheld from your pay. You can use your results from the calculator to help fill out the form.


Tips For Using This Program

  • Have your most recent pay stubs handy.
  • Have your most recent income tax return handy.
  • Estimate values if necessary, remembering that the results will be no more accurate than the input you provide.

Every person needs to have health coverage or make a payment on their

federal income tax return called the “Shared Responsibility Payment.” Some people are exempt from making the Shared Responsibility payment. This application is for a category of exemptions called "hardships" available only through the Marketplace.

Hardship number Category Required documentation

1 You were homeless. None

2 You were evicted or were facing eviction or

foreclosure. Eviction or foreclosure notice. The document must show that the event happened

in this calendar year or up to two calendar years prior.

3 You received a shut-off notice from a utility company. Shut off notice from an electric, water/sewer, or gas utility company that says service has been or will be shut off. The document must show that the shut off happened in this calendar year or up to two calendar years prior.

4 You recently experienced domestic violence. None

5 You experienced the death of a close family

member. Death certificate, death notice from newspaper, funeral service program, funeral

expenses, coroner's report, military notification of death, or other official notice

of death. The document must show that the death happened in this calendar

year or up to two calendar years prior.

6 You experienced a fire, flood, or other

natural human-caused disaster that caused

substantial damage to your property.

Police or fire report, insurance claim, or other document from a government

agency or news source about the disaster. The document must show that the

event happened in this calendar year or up to two calendar years prior.

7 You filed for bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy filing document from a court or other legal authority. The document

must show that the bankruptcy happened in this calendar year or up to two

calendar years prior.

8 You had medical expenses you couldn't pay. One or more medical bills. The bill(s) must be for this calendar year or up to two calendar years prior.

9 You experienced unexpected increases in

necessary expenses due to caring for an ill,

disabled, or aging family member.

Receipts for bills or services related to a family member's care, like medical bills,

home care services, or transportation receipts. The receipts must be from this

calendar year or up to two calendar years prior.

10 A child you expected to claim as a tax dependent has been denied coverage in

Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), and another

person is required by court order to provide health coverage to the child.

Court order that covers the time period for which you want the exemption for the

child and copy of eligibility notice that shows the child was denied Medicaid and

CHIP coverage from your state. The Medicaid/CHIP document must show

eligibility determination for this calendar year or up to two calendar years prior.

11 As a result of a Health Insurance Marketplace or state-based Marketplace

appeals decision, you're eligible for: 1) enrollment in a qualified health plan through the Marketplace; 2) lower costs on your monthly premiums; or 3) cost-sharing reductions for a time period when you weren't enrolled in a Marketplace plan. Notice of appeal from the Health Insurance Marketplace or your state-based Marketplace. The appeals notice must be from this calendar year or up to two calendar years prior.

12 An adult in your tax household was determined ineligible for Medicaid because your state did NOT expand eligibility for Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act. None. This exemption is available only for the most recent calendar year.

13 You got a notice from a health insurance plan you purchased on the individual market

(not job based coverage) saying your policy was cancelled because it didn't meet Affordable Care Act requirements and you considered other plans unaffordable. This category is no longer available for 2017 and future years. Notice of cancellation from your insurance company must be dated after January 1, 2015 and before October 31, 2016. This exemption is not available if your coverage was cancelled after October 31, 2016.

14 You experienced a hardship NOT listed in categories 1-13 that kept you from getting

health insurance. A very limited number of other hardships qualify. Include any documentation

that explains why you’re requesting a hardship exemption NOT listed in categories 1-13. The documentation must show that the hardship happened within this calendar year or up to two calendar years prior.


Well first of all. I would like to thank everyone at 1040taxbiz!

For the opportunity they gave me to be on there team and made me part of there team at a short notice.i am blessed to have met Mr Harold and his team.They stood by me for every question I asked or didn't know  the software all that good but not one time did they fail to help me.i love the system they have put together as a team,all the marketing,the courses,the forms  there is always answer for your questions on the portal.i want to thank you all for all your support that was provided for me.i wasn't alone see you next year and a better year amen Dr cell Sandra  from San Antonio Texas !

Tax preparers can help protect clients and their businesses from identity theft by checking their PTIN Accounts to ensure the number of returns filed using their identification number matches IRS records.

Criminals are increasingly targeting tax professionals, not only to steal client data but also to steal the professionals’ data such as PTINs, EFINs or e-Service passwords. The IRS has teamed up with state tax agencies and the tax industry for a “Protect Your Clients; Protect Yourself” campaign to help increase awareness among tax professionals.

The IRS offers many preparers the ability to monitor “Returns Filed Per PTIN.” This information is available in the online PTIN system for tax return preparers who meet both of the following criteria. You must have:

  • A professional credential (Enrolled Agent, Certified Public Accountant, Attorney, Enrolled Retirement Plan Agent or Enrolled Actuary) or are an Annual Filing Season Program participant, and
  • At least 50 tax returns from the Form 1040 series processed in the current year.

It is important to monitor this information even if you do not prepare returns or only prepare a small number of returns. If there is no data shown, less than 50 returns have been processed with your PTIN.

To access “Returns Filed Per PTIN” information, follow these steps:

  1. Visit and log into your PTIN account.
  2. From the Main Menu, find “Additional Activities.”
  3. Under Additional Activities, select “View Returns Filed Per PTIN.”
  4. A chart labeled Returns Per PTIN should appear.
  5. A count of individual income tax returns filed and processed in the current year will be displayed.  

The information in the Returns Per PTIN chart is updated weekly and it is important that you check this information regularly. If the number of returns processed is significantly more than the number of tax returns you’ve prepared and you suspect possible misuse of your PTIN, complete and submit Form 14157, Complaint: Tax Return Preparer, to the IRS.

  • Posted in:
  • IRS

Keeping your customers engaged in the off season helps keep your business in mind all year long.

Hold appreciation events

Barbecues are great during the summer. Honor veterans at July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Veteran’s Day picnics.  

Holiday themed contests

Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are right before tax season starts. Throw a party and encourage your customers to invite and introduce you to their friends. People like events where they can win prizes. Contests can include pumpkin carving, best side dish, and fastest gift wrapping.

Host a service day

Give back to your community by asking your customers to help with improvement projects. Organize a roadside or city park clean up event. Right after tax season is Earth Day. Purchase and plant some inexpensive trees.

Showing your fun and caring side helps build a rapport with customers that will keep them coming back to your tax business every year.

The IRS, the states and the tax industry are committed to protecting you from identity theft. We’ve strengthened our partnership to fight a common enemy – the criminals – and to devote ourselves to a common goal – serving you. Working together, we’ve made many changes to combat identity theft, and we are making progress. However, cybercriminals are constantly evolving, and so must we. The IRS is working hand-in-hand with your state revenue officials, your tax software provider and your tax preparer. But, we need your help. We need you to join with us. By taking a few simple steps, you can better protect your personal and financial data online and at home. Please consider these steps to protect yourselves from identity thieves: Keep Your Computer Secure • Use security software and make sure it updates automatically; essential tools include: • Firewall • Virus/malware protection • File encryption for sensitive data • Treat your personal information like cash, don’t leave it lying around • Check out companies to find out who you’re really dealing with • Give personal information only over encrypted websites – look for “https” addresses. • Use strong passwords and protect them • Back up your files Avoid Phishing and Malware • Avoid phishing emails, texts or calls that appear to be from the IRS and companies you know and trust, go directly to their websites instead • Don’t open attachments in emails unless you know who sent it and what it is • Download and install software only from websites you know and trust • Use a pop-up blocker • Talk to your family about safe computing Protect Personal Information Don’t routinely carry your social security card or documents with your SSN. Do not overshare personal information on social media. Information about past addresses, a new car, a new home and your children help identity thieves pose as you. Keep old tax returns and tax records under lock and key or encrypted if electronic. Shred tax documents before trashing. Avoid IRS Impersonators. The IRS will not call you with threats of jail or lawsuits.  The IRS will not send you an unsolicited email suggesting you have a refund or that you need to update your account. The IRS will not request any sensitive information online. These are all scams, and they are persistent. Don’t fall for them. Forward IRS-related scam emails to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Report IRS-impersonation telephone calls at

Additional steps:
• Check your credit report annually; check your bank and credit card statements often
• Review your Social Security Administration records annually: Sign up for My Social Security at
• If you are an identity theft victim whose tax account is affected, review for details
  • Posted in:
  • IRS

It's common to hear business owners talk about "getting a salary" from their business, but that's not actually how most business owners get paid by the business.

The word "salary" is common when talking about employees, but most business owners don't actually take a salary as an employee. How you pay yourself out of the business depends on your business legal type.

Owner/Business Type 

 How Take $

 Tax Return  Self-employment  Tax?


Distributive share Schedule K-1 for 1040


Sole Proprietor Draw Schedule C for 1040        yes
Single-member LLC Disbrib. share/Draw Schedule C for 1040     yes
Multiple-member LLC Distrib. share Schedule K-1 for 1040     yes
Corporate owner Dividends Div. income on 1040    not on dividends
S corporation owner Distrib. share Schedule K-1 for 1040     yes
Corporate exec/employee Paycheck W-2 income on 1040  FICA tax as employee


It takes money and effort to get new customers so it’s good business sense to keep your satisfied customers coming back. Here are some ideas to keep you connected with your customers.

Email former customers

Asking for an email address at the time of processing a return is the easiest way to keep your business in front of customers. Send out a reminder prior to tax season and several weeks into the season so customers can contact you if they have questions and then come to you once they receive all their documentation.


A postcard can be hung on a customer’s refrigerator to remind them about the great service you provided last year. Send the postcards at the end of December so they don’t get lost among holiday cards. At the beginning of April, send out a procrastinator postcard letting customers know you’re still around when other tax businesses have closed for the season. You can email a procrastinator but when a postcard is in their hands with a looming tax deadline, there is a lot more impact.


Over 50% of Americans have a Facebook account. Offer discounts to customers when they show you they liked your page. Post personal things like recipes or community involvement on your page to show you care about more than just your customer’s money. Post one of 1040TaxBiz’s premade ads or use your own design every few days to keep your page fresh and engaging. Humor can encourage clients to share your posts so their friends will see as well.

Tax Rate Single Married/Joint
& Widow(er)
Married/Separate Head of Household
10% $1 to $9,275 $1 to $18,550 $1 to $9,275 $1 to $13,250
15% $9,275 to $37,650 $18,550 to $75,300 $9,275 to $37,650 $13,250 to $50,400
25% $37,650 to $91,150 $75,300 to $151,900 $37,650 to $75,950 $50,400 to $130,150
28% $91,150 to $190,150 $151,900 to $231,450 $75,950 to $115,725 $130,150 to $210,800
33% $190,150 to $413,350 $231,450 to $413,350 $115,725 to $206,675 $210,800 to $413,350
35% $413,350 to $415,050 $413,350 to $466,950 $206,675 to $233,475 $413,350 to $441,000
39.6% over $415,050 over $466,950 over $233,475 over $441,000

You don’t have to limit your income to your tax preparation fees. You can offer other services to your customers which both enrich their lives and earn you additional income. 1040TaxBiz offers several services that you can add on to your business. Once you’re familiar with the products, they sell themselves.

Credit Repair

Errors can and do occur on customers’ credit reports. Clients can add a credit repair business on to their existing businesses or receive an agent fee for signing up customers for us to support. Leading software is used to generate letters to credit furnishers using industry specific verbiage. Training comes directly from the company that created the software.

National Tax Audit Protection

Audit protection provides peace of mind for the customer. You need to keep copies of documentation provided by the customer to show the numbers were reasonable and entered correctly. The customer is ultimately responsible for providing supporting documentation to the IRS upon request. The information must be presented in the manner requested by the IRS and sometimes requires written or telephone communication. A 1040TaxBiz team member saves customers time and frustration by consulting them on the information requested by the IRS and representing them in all telephone and email communication.

Telamedicine Discount Program

Telamedicine can supplement existing insurance coverage or provide access to health care where there is no coverage. Also, health care afterhours or when you’re away from home can be difficult to find or expense. Telamedicine provides access to health care professionals to diagnose and prescribe medication for minor issues and possible referrals to specialists at a discounted rate.

Dental/Vision Discount Program

In addition to the medical benefits above, 1040TaxBiz offers a discount program for dental and vision care. In-network dental providers offer discounts for services such as extractions, orthodontics, dentures, and cleanings. Vision discounts include eye exams, glasses, contact lenses, and Lasik surgeries.

You should file an amended tax return if you need to correct any piece of information that will alter your tax calculations. You can use an amended return to make corrections to your filing status, dependents, income, deductions, or tax credits. For example, if you need to report additional income from a W-2 that arrived after you filed your original return, you'll need to file an amendment. Similarly, if you need to remove dependents because you were not eligible to claim them, you should file an amendment.

You should not file an amended return if you are only correcting math errors as the IRS computers will check your math and correct any errors in calculation.

Math errors are errors in adding or subtracting items on your tax return.

Be aware that you have three years to make any corrections that result in additional tax refunds. That's because there's a three-year statute of limitations on issuing tax refund checks. This three-year period is measured from the date you filed your original tax return.

If you filed your return before April 15th, the three-year period begins from April 15th. If you requested an extension, the three-year period runs from October 15th

If you are beyond the three-year period, you can only receive refunds for overpaid taxes that were actually paid during the previous two years.

People who need to report additional income or to correct overstated deductions can file an amended return at any time. Be aware that the IRS has three-years to audit your tax return, and may have a longer period of time if there's substantial under-reporting.

Reasons for filing an amendment include:

The April 15th tax deadline is for customer who owe taxes to the IRS to avoid paying a late filing penalty. Taxes can be electronically filed until October every year. There are plenty of opportunities to continue earning revenue for your business after the mail filing season is over.

Self-employed customers

Self-employment encompasses activities such as landscaping, babysitting, car repair and hair styling. Customers need to keep detailed income and expense documentation to provide upon request by the IRS. (Babysitters can deduct expenses for food and toys. Landscapers can deduct mulch, mowers, trimmers, and gas.) Contact your Chamber of Commerce to see if they can provide a list of customers who have registered business in the last 18 months as they may still be looking for someone to assist with taxes. The following are benefits to reporting self-employment income.


Possible higher refunds for low earners

A customer may not qualify for full earned income benefits if W2 wages are too low. By earning extra income, customers may qualify for the additional benefits.


Build social security savings

Self-employed customers are considered the employer and the employee of their company and are responsible for both portions of the of social security taxes. Customers may be reluctant to report self-employment earnings because of the additional taxes but they are building their retirement income.


Organizations that offer assistance

Partner with people who work for organizations that assist people with referrals for your tax service.

Battered women’s shelter

County assessor’s office

Food pantry

Housing assistance


Contact us to learn how you can start your own tax business

  1. Full Name(*)
    Please let us know your name.
  2. Email(*)
    Please let us know your email address.
  3. Phone(*)
    Invalid Input
  4. Message
    Please let us know your message.